Poweshiek History Preservation Project

grinnell:4244
Presentation Speech for S.S. Class
This undated address was given by a student in J.B. Grinnell's S.S. class at the conclusion of the course. In it, the student thanks J.B. for his quality teaching, invaluable advice, and continual support throughout the course. At the time, the class also presented Grinnell with the "book of books," a Bible.
grinnell:5989
Roswell Lombard Ancestry Note
Note of descendants of Roswell Lombard.
grinnell:6078
Ruth Suckow and Ferner Nuhn
Ruth Suckow and Ferner Nuhn with cat. Photograph by Mabel Schaeffer. Possibly taken between 1926 and 1929.
grinnell:5987
Sarah J. had Three Sons Note
Note documenting Sarah J.'s three sons.
grinnell:4242
Season Ticket to The World's Industrial Exhibition of 1853
This small card is a season ticket to The World's Industrial Exhibition of 1853. The ticket is in the name of "Rev. J.B. Grinnell and Wife."
grinnell:3299
Spencer Block
Photographs of the Spencer Block looking east to the Bank Block and the Eagle Block. The Spencer Block was built by H. C. Spencer in 1884. The buildings shown are from the NW corner of 4th. The Eagle Block built in 1879 by W.A. Probst and E. Holyoke. Visible are the Manly Building, built by J.C. Manly in 1892? and later occupied by Village Decorating (813 4th). East across the alley from the Manly Building was the Citizens Bank, built in 1881. L.E. Spencer was the bank's vice president. East of the Citizens Bank is the Beyer Block built in 1891-1892. East of the Beyer Block is the First National Bank Block, built in 1868 by J.B. Grinnell. Across Broad Street east from the National Bank is the spire of Congregational Church, completed in 1898. The Bank Block is also called the Grinnell Block.
grinnell:13162
Sprague Family Photos
Nine photographs of the Sprague family of Grinnell, Iowa. Herman H. and Ella Farley Sprague had two daughters, Ina and Lena. Ina was a teacher and was principal of Davis School in Grinnell, Iowa, for 28 years. Lena was an assistant to the city clerk of Grinnell for 30 years. Drake Community Library (Grinnell, Iowa) Archives. Miscellaneous photographs. Collection #17-6, People.
grinnell:3294
The Armory
Photograph of the Armory building at 816 5th Avenue. It was constructed of Rockface Cement Block in 1907. Owners have included: R.G. Coutts, C.W.H. Beyer, E.W. Clark (a builder, a banker, a doctor).. It has served as a car dealership, a United Grocery store owned by CLair Strand, the Armory, and Pagliai's.Pizza.
grinnell:4097
Wendell Phillips to My Father
Two letters in the same envelope addressed to mrs David Mears. One is from Wendell Phillips to John where J.B. Grinnell is mentioned as the writer's personal friend and the college is also brought up. The second one is a note by Leavitt Stoddard to mrs. David Mears saying he had enclosed the aforementioned letter for her to read which he thinks she would be interested in.

Pages

Advanced Search