You are here

Poweshiek History Preservation Project

PHPP is a digital archive of the Poweshiek County area that includes materials contributed by individuals and items from the Drake Community Library, Grinnell College and area historical museums. PHPP volunteers can help scan items contributed by individuals by appointment. Items can also be submitted in digital form by individuals. The project is also collecting oral histories which are conducted by volunteers.

Miller, Lester
Photograph of a drawing of Herrick Chapel by Lester Miller

Photograph of the Mack Building on the corner of Broad and Commercial Streets. Built in 1889 it originally housed two storefronts. Two additions to the south in 1894 formed the Mack Hotel. The building was also known as the Monroe Hotel Annex and Park Hotel. The buggy at the corner (NW) was the horse-drawn dray which traveled to and from the depot. At the reins is Mr. Mack. The horses shied one day, Mr. Mack was thrown from the dray, and killed., Owner(s) Names: Two storefronts belong to the Mack Building.

Mears, Mary Grinnell
Letter from Mary Mears to her "darling friend" recounting the story of how an elm tree in the yard of her childhood home came to be known as "Beecher."

Photograph of the mock convention "Demonstration" during the Republican nominating session

Three portraits of Myrtle Marguerite Cass. Myrtle Cass was born in 1896 on a farm near Malcom, Iowa. She graduated from Grinnell High School and was a member of the Grinnell College Class of 1929. She received her M.A. in Latin from Columbia University, New York City, and her Ph.D. in languages in 1933, also from Columbia. She returned to Grinnell in 1937 to care for her mother and sister at the family home. Drake Community Library (Grinnell, Iowa) Archives. Miscellaneous photographs. Collection #17-6, People.

Parker, Leonard F. (Leonard Fletcher), 1825-
This leaflet contains biographical information about J.B. Grinnell.

Photograph of members of St. Paul's Episcopal Church placing the Chester Church on its new foundation at 6th and State Street in Grinnell. The Church was purchased by St. Paul's congregation to serve as their new sanctuary. Members visible are Don Howig, Byron Worley, Jon Chenette and Tim Chenette.

Howell, E.B. Howell
This undated address was given by a student in J.B. Grinnell's S.S. class at the conclusion of the course. In it, the student thanks J.B. for his quality teaching, invaluable advice, and continual support throughout the course. At the time, the class also presented Grinnell with the "book of books," a Bible.

Note of descendants of Roswell Lombard.

Schaeffer, Mabel
Ruth Suckow and Ferner Nuhn with cat. Photograph by Mabel Schaeffer. Possibly taken between 1926 and 1929.

Note documenting Sarah J.'s three sons.

This small card is a season ticket to The World's Industrial Exhibition of 1853. The ticket is in the name of "Rev. J.B. Grinnell and Wife."

Photographs of the Spencer Block looking east to the Bank Block and the Eagle Block. The Spencer Block was built by H. C. Spencer in 1884. The buildings shown are from the NW corner of 4th. The Eagle Block built in 1879 by W.A. Probst and E. Holyoke. Visible are the Manly Building, built by J.C. Manly in 1892? and later occupied by Village Decorating (813 4th). East across the alley from the Manly Building was the Citizens Bank, built in 1881. L.E. Spencer was the bank's vice president. East of the Citizens Bank is the Beyer Block built in 1891-1892. East of the Beyer Block is the First National Bank Block, built in 1868 by J.B. Grinnell. Across Broad Street east from the National Bank is the spire of Congregational Church, completed in 1898. The Bank Block is also called the Grinnell Block.

Nine photographs of the Sprague family of Grinnell, Iowa. Herman H. and Ella Farley Sprague had two daughters, Ina and Lena. Ina was a teacher and was principal of Davis School in Grinnell, Iowa, for 28 years. Lena was an assistant to the city clerk of Grinnell for 30 years. Drake Community Library (Grinnell, Iowa) Archives. Miscellaneous photographs. Collection #17-6, People.

Photograph of the Armory building at 816 5th Avenue. It was constructed of Rockface Cement Block in 1907. Owners have included: R.G. Coutts, C.W.H. Beyer, E.W. Clark (a builder, a banker, a doctor).. It has served as a car dealership, a United Grocery store owned by CLair Strand, the Armory, and Pagliai's.Pizza.

Phillips, Wendell; Stoddard, Leavitt
Two letters in the same envelope addressed to mrs David Mears. One is from Wendell Phillips to John where J.B. Grinnell is mentioned as the writer's personal friend and the college is also brought up. The second one is a note by Leavitt Stoddard to mrs. David Mears saying he had enclosed the aforementioned letter for her to read which he thinks she would be interested in.


Advanced Search