Wartburg College, Clinton, Iowa

The main building of Wartburg College was built in 1893-1894 and was originally intended to educate only Lutheran seminary students. However, it developed into a co-educational institution before it was relocated to Waverly, Iowa in 1935. The building was a noted landmark in Clinton and remained empty until the early years of World War II, when it was converted into apartments to cope with the acute housing shortage. It was demolished in 1998. The postcard was sent by Otto Kraushaar, President of Warburg from 1899-1907. 1903 postmark.
This content, grinnell:14591, has been visited 194 times and downloaded 277 times.

Advanced Search