Mason House and mineral springs, Colfax, Iowa

Primary tabs

The Mason House was built in 1881 by William Mason Croft, mayor of Colfax, and was located closest to the train depot. In the process of drilling for coal in 1875, a well containing high mineral content was discovered near Colfax. The city flourished with this new discovery, and over the next four decades, thousands of people visited the town to partake in the healing powers of the fourteen mineral springs there. 1909 postmark. Number 157064.