Main Street, Ashton, Iowa

Primary tabs

Looking east at the business district in Ashton, Iowa. The third street truss bridge, built in 1907 by the Canton Bridge Co., of Canton, Ohio, is shown in the background which spans Otter Creek. Originally named St. Gilman, Iowa, in 1872 and renamed Ashton, Iowa, in 1882 after May Ashton, the daughter of a railroad man who traveled in the area. The town was incorporated in 1885.