State Historical Building, Des Moines, Iowa

Primary tabs

Looking northeast at a four-story stone building. The building was designed by architect Oliver O. Smith in 1898 in the Beaux Arts style. It is one of the oldest buildings in the Iowa State Capitol Complex and initially housed the Iowa State Historical Society which has moved to a new location in 1987. After an historic renovation the building was renamed in honor of Ola Babcock Miller, Iowa's first female Secretary of State. The building currently houses the State Library of Iowa, which has occupied space in the building since 1912. The building is located at East 12th and Grand Avenue, Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa, and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Number P4113. Series IA-29.