Colo Cabin Camp at junction of Hi-Ways 30 & 65, Colo, Iowa

Primary tabs

Looking northeast at a one-story motel. Throughout most of the 1920’s, Charlie Reed allowed travelers to pitch tents on open land at this site. Beginning in 1928, however, that camping space was filled by the Colo Cabin Camp, which was also known by the late 1940’s as the Colo Motel, the sole name used after the mid-1950’s. This was an early use in Iowa of the term “motel,” a contraction of “motor hotel.” Connoting “modern,” this new word originated in California and quickly spread across the country after World War II. The motel has been recently remodeled and is now in use for those in need of a night’s stay. Number 5122.