Bird's eye view, Camp Dodge, Des Moines, Iowa

Primary tabs

Aerial view of Camp Dodge on a hazy day. Original construction of Camp Dodge began in 1907, to provide a place for the National Guard units to train. In 1917, the installation was handed over to national authorities and greatly expanded to become a regional training center for forces to participate in the First World War. The name Camp Dodge comes from Brigadier General Grenville M. Dodge, who organized Iowa's first National Guard unit in 1856.