Public Library, Des Moines, Iowa

Primary tabs

Looking northwest at the 1903 three-story Beaux Arts style building designed by Des Moines architects, Gutterson & Smith, and constructed of salmon pink Minnesota limestone. It was the project of the Works Progress Administration. The building originally featured a fountain and stone steps, which were removed in 1955. It is no longer a library, but was acquired by the World Food Prize and is being renovated to serve as a museum to recognize great achievements in agriculture, a convocation center that will hold the World Food Prize International Symposium, a home for the Global Youth Institute, an educational facility that will feature interactive displays on hunger and food security and a conference center and community hall. It is located on Locust Street and listed in the National Register of Historic Places. 1921 postmark.