First Schoolhouse in Sugar Creek Township

Primary tabs

First schoolhouse and the first scholars of the first term of Sugar Creek Township, Poweshiek County, Iowa. From left to right: Levi McDowell, James Stanley, John English, Mrs. John Baker, Mrs. Sam Stewart, and Mrs. John English. The school was built in 1851 and the first teacher was Mr. Jack McDowell. Photo by Dr. John Souter; taken about 1898. Drake Community Library Archives. Oversize photos.