Community Contributions

Photographs and documents related to the history of Poweshiek County contributed by individuals. Contributions from throughout the county are welcome and include the communities of Barnes City, Brooklyn, Deep River, Ewart, Grinnell, Guernsey, Hartwick, Malcom, Montezuma, Searsboro and Victor.

Michelle Obama (right) campaigning for her husband at the Mayflower Home Carmen Center in Grinnell, Iowa, in 2008. Lynn Cavanagh, with back to camera, and Tinker Powell (middle).

Color view of the Newburg Chester Congregational Church in 2008. The church was built by Anson Hayden Palmer in 1896.

The former Newburg General Store in Newburg, Iowa. Dorothy Palmer and her son, David Yandell are standing in front. Charles Austin and Nora Belle Palmer lived above the store with their family in the early 20th century. Abi (Alden) and Anson Palmer (Charles' parents) were married and began farming in what became Newburg in 1877. In 1881, Abi's brother, George Alden, bought the little general store on the land they were farming for Abi and George's mother, Louisa, and unmarried sister, Vesta, to live in. In 1920 or 1921 the apartment above the general store was available and Charles Austin Palmer and his wife, Nora Belle (Brown), lived there with their children when they returned to Newburg in 1920 or 1921, after building houses in Carpenter, Wyoming for a few years. Philip Palmer was born here and the family continued to reside above the store until around 1928, when they moved to Grinnell.

Home at 15102 Newcomer Avenue in Newburg, Iowa, built by Charles Austin Palmer with Dorothy Palmer standing on the steps.

View of the Newburg School in 2008

Newburg, Iowa, slaughterhouse, also referred to as the "creamery." It was located between Center Street and the railroad tracks.

Palmer family members gather around the street sign for Palmer Avenue in Newburg, Iowa. In the background you can see the grain elevator and the former Newburg General Store where the Palmer family lived in the early twentieth century. From left to right: Jean Koelle, Janice Koelle, David Yandell, Dorothy Palmer, and Cynthia Palmer, with Nancy Keens kneeling in front.

List of pastors who served the Assemblies of God churches in Grinnell, Iowa, from the time they were incorporated in 1934 until the time they closed in 2009. The First Assembly of God was located at 619 Broad Street. The Glad Tidings Assembly of God was located in the former Baptist church at the northeast corner of 4th Avenue and Park Street.

Edith Renfrow Smith received the Luminary Award in 2009 from the Chicago Senior Citizen Hall of Fame. This flier contains her photograph and biographical information.

A saga of the Carney family history, detailing their move to Iowa in a covered wagon, pioneer experiences in the Iowa prairie, and the heritage left for future generations of the Carney family.

Paper presented to the Fortnightly Club, Grinnell, Iowa, on October 25, 2010, by Tom Lacina, describing the history of public libraries in Grinnell, Iowa, the establishment of Stewart Library and its successor the Drake Community Library, and the future use of the Stewart Library Building under the auspices of the Grinnell Area Arts Council.

Traces the histories of the Palmer, Brown, Tarleton, Schoonover and other related families who settled in the Grinnell and Newburg, Iowa areas.

View of 817 Seventh Avenue, Grinnell, Iowa, in 2011.

From left to right: John and Gene Bartachek on March 30, 2017, after being interviewed for the Poweshiek History Preservation Project oral history program.

Photograph of two men and a woman posing with the tractor built by Bill Lidtka

Bill Lidtka posing in front of the tractor, in front of a barn

Six men dressed as women. A follies group. Pictured are: Glenn Harris, Harry Ryan, Paran Pederson, Ross Mintle, Floyd Lacina, and Leonard Pederson

Images of Grace United Methodist Church, Brooklyn, Iowa, and its predecessors. The first church was a simple frame church built in 1862. The next church was built in 1877, and the current church was built in 1914.

Map of Grinnell, Iowa, railroad bounded on the south by Washington Ave., on the north by 2nd Ave., on the west by Park Street, and on the east by State Street. "Copied from M&StL AFE 19-1867." Scale: 1" = 100'