Historic Iowa Postcards

grinnell:13570
Unknown
Looking northeast. "The area of the old stone church that followed the wooden structure on the left. The wooden school on right stood before the 3 story brick & block hi[gh]-sch[ool] now gone"--t.p. verso

grinnell:16934
Unknown
Looking at the Des Moines River Valley. 1901 postmark. Number 11488.

grinnell:14093
Unknown
One story brick building on the corner holds the Chelsea State Bank and at the other end of the block is the Palace Restaurant. 1903 postmark.

grinnell:14249
Unknown
Looking down a dirt Main Street. 1903 postmark.

grinnell:14591
Unknown
Four story brick and stone main campus building. Wartburg College was moved several times to accommodate Lutheran immigration and resided in Clinton, Iowa from 1894-1935. Since 1935, Wartburg College is permanently located in Waverly, Iowa. 1903 postmark.

grinnell:16978
Unknown
The Pottawattamie County Courthouse on South Pearl Street was a stone Beaux Arts-style building built in 1888. It was later declared unsafe and was replaced with a Modernist structure in 1977. 1904 postmark. Number 5454.

grinnell:13879
Unknown
The Clinton County Courthouse Clinton County Courthouse was constructed from 1892-1897 by architects Stanley Mansfield and Josiah Rice. Listed in the National Register of Historical Places. 1904 postmark.

grinnell:13780
Unknown
Two story wooden prairie School, Tudor Revival architecture. Railroad carts and barrels near depot. Listed in the National Register of Historical Places and used as the Heritage Center. 1904 postmark. Number 8.

grinnell:16979
Unknown
Looking at the front entrance to a 3 story brick building. 1905 postmark. Number 19.

grinnell:14499
Chess
Looking east at shoreline with canoers and boathouse. Arbor Lake, named for Arbor Day, when hundreds of trees were planted there, was created in 1902 as a storage reservoir to provide soft water for manufacturing firms. Number 1222.

grinnell:13884
Unknown
Single story wooden depot with sign for Center Jct. A railroad ticket clerk is standing at the corner of the building. Center Junction was once an incorporated city starting in 1871. But, following a special election that served as a referendum on the plan, the city council voted in 2015 to sell of its assets, disband, and turn administration over to the county. When the council took the action, then-Mayor Sandy Ricklefs cited the towns ailing finances as the primary reason for disbanding.

grinnell:18449
Unknown
The St. Malachy's Church was built in 1885. In 1905 the Church of the Immaculate Conception was "cut out" of St. Malachy's. Located at 107 West Howard Street, Creston, Union County, Iowa. 1905 postmark.

Pages

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next › last »
This content, grinnell:postcards, has been visited 6836 times.

Advanced Search