Historic Iowa Postcards

Grinnell College Libraries' Historic Iowa Postcard Collection. A collection of postcards from 1900 through the middle of the 20th century, covering all parts of Iowa.

grinnell:14366
Looking north on Broad Street at residences. 1908 postmark.

grinnell:13774
Reichard, The Druggist
The original seminary was founded by the city's founder, Thomas Mitchell, in 1872. It fell on hard times and was bought by the state of Iowa who turned it into a reformatory school for girls. In the early 1980's it was turned into the Iowa Correctional Institute for Women. 1908 postmark.

grinnell:14414
Peet, Mrs. C.L. (Gilman, Iowa)
Two women and two children on a gazebo in a part in Gilman, Iowa. 1908 postmark.

grinnell:14294
Looking east at the Doepke building built in 1881 with a man and his automobile out front. 1908 postmark.

grinnell:18794
Looking southwest at the Polk County Courthouse from 5th Avenue. The building was designed and built by Proudfoot and Bird in 1906 in the Beaux Arts style for a cost of $750,000 and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. It is located at 500 Mulberry Street, Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa. 1908 postmark. Number 6414.

grinnell:13599
This is the second Presbyterian church erected in 1894 at a cost of $16,000. It was demolished in 1975. 1908 postmark.

grinnell:14036
The Clermont School was a three-story brick building constructed in circa 1867, and it occupied the site until the Clermont Junior High School was built in 1924. A new public school was built in 1912-1913. 1908 postmark.

grinnell:14343
Two story wooden schoolhouse with bell tower with school children standing outside. 1908 postmark.

grinnell:16858
Looking northeast at the Raccoon River which was first documented on the 1814 map by Lewis and Clark. It is a 30.8 mile long tributary of the Des Moines River. It flows generally eastward into Polk County, and joins the Des Moines River just south of downtown Des Moines and is part of the watershed of the Mississippi River. 1908 postmark.

grinnell:14061
Valley view of a farmhouse near Clayton, Iowa. 1908 postmark. Number G 9824.

grinnell:13662
Women enjoying the surroundings at Rock Creek. 1908 postmark. Number 8635. PCK series.

grinnell:14221
Depot with carts and milk cans on platform with grain elevator in the left background and hotel in the right background. 1908 postmark.

grinnell:14341
Sailboat
The original seminary was founded by the city's founder, Thomas Mitchell, in 1872. It fell on hard times and was bought by the state of Iowa who turned it into a reformatory school for girls. In the early 1980's it was turned into the Iowa Correctional Institute for Women. 1908 postmark.

grinnell:14598
The closed-spandrel arch bridge on Sixth Avenue was designed by Edwin Thatcher from New York and built in 1907. In 1965 it collapsed due to bad infrastructure and was replaced in 1966. 1908 postmark.

grinnell:13761
Simmons, J.D.
Entrance to the main building at the Iowa Veterans Home in Marshalltown, Iowa. 1908 postmark.

grinnell:13771
Wooden bridge over stream leading to the South Bridge over the Iowa River near Belle Plaine, Iowa. A horse and buggy are in the left foreground. 1908 postmark.

grinnell:13740
The two story "brick grade school building, was known as the South Side School and later Longfellow and was erected in 1879 by L. Wallace & Son of Cedar Rapids at a cost of $10,500". It was razed in 1956. 1908 postmark.

grinnell:16962
This St. Patrick's Academy building, built in 1908 by C.F. Mayer, a contractor from Humboldt, Iowa, replaced the white wooden academy built in 1887 due to lack of space. The new academy had a full basement and four floors. It was heated with steam heat and electricity. The first floor held high school classroom and an auditorium; the third floor held rooms for the nuns, the fourth floor or attic had several rooms for roomers who stayed at the convent. The building was destroyed by fire in 1910. 1908 postmark. Title supplied by cataloger.

grinnell:13631
Looking east from Broad Street. In 1901 Joel Stewart, a farmer, banker, and state legislator, offered to build the public library on land donated by the Congregational Church Society. The cornerstone was laid on May 7, 1901. 1 Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 908 postmark. Number 60.

grinnell:13627
Looking east from Broad Street. In 1901, Joel Stewart, a farmer, banker, and state legislator, offered to build the public library on land donated by the Congregational Church Society. The cornerstone was laid on May 7, 1901. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 1908 postmark. Number 156897.