Historic Iowa Postcards

Grinnell College Libraries' Historic Iowa Postcard Collection. A collection of postcards from 1900 through the middle of the 20th century, covering all parts of Iowa.

Looking north at the building designed and built on 1894 by Eastman and McLelland. 1909 postmark. Number 41.

Looking south at a train coming around the bend from Diagonal with the tracks blocked due to flooding of the Grand River on June 7, 1909. 1909 postmark.

Looking at the Floyd River, a tributary of the Missouri River is 112 miles long and located in northwestern Iowa. It enters the Missouri River at Sioux City and is named for Charles Floyd, a member of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. 1909 postmark. Number 13097.

Looking west at Fourth Avenue from unpaved Broad Street with dentist office on southeast corner and drugstore on northeast corner. 1909 postmark. Number 918.

Looking west at Fourth Avenue from unpaved Broad Street with dentist office on southeast corner and drugstore on northeast corner. 1909 postmark. Series 918.

Looking northeast from Front Street in Brooklyn, Iowa. There is a barber pole in front of the first building. 1909 postmark. Number 61797.

View of a sailboat and ferry boat with a pavilion in the background. This island has had many names beginning with Credit Island well known for the 1814 Battle of Credit Island, one of the westernmost battles of the War of 1812 fought between the Sauk Indians with British support and a regiment under the command of Zachary Taylor. Other names for the island were Offerman's Island, Grand Island [Isle], Manhattan Island, Offerman's Island, and Suburban Island. 1909 postmark. Number 4402.

Montage of eight Buffalo landmarks: Looking northwest on Front Street. Looking north at Buffalo High School located at 326 Fourth Street, Buffalo, Scott County, Iowa. Looking southeast at Buffalo Tile Works. Looking north at St. Peter Catholic Church located at 406 Fourth Street, Buffalo, Scott County, Iowa. Buffalo Town Hall. Looking north at Dohrman's General Store owned by Henry Dohrman. Looking northeast at the Buffalo Post Office located at 326 Front Street, Buffalo, Scott County, Iowa. Looking east at the Buffalo Depot built around 1882 and the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railway. 1909 postmark.

Montage of four building in Burt, Iowa: The English M.E. Church was built in 1889. The German M.E. Church was built in 1893. The Presbyterian Church was built in 1895. The two-story school was erected in 1893. 1909 postmark.

Montage of Callendar, Iowa: Looking east and west on Main Street. Looking south at city hall. Looking at a three-story public school. A birdseye view of the city. 1909 postmark. Number E-192.

Embossed green, ivory and read greeting card. 1909 postmark.

Montage of eight Grinnell landmarks: Main Street, Arbor Lake, Stewart Library, Armory, Colonial Theater, Broad Street, Grinnell Hospital, Grinnell High School. 1909 postmark.

Montage of State Center: Evangelical Lutheran Church, Section of Main Street, M.E. Church, Creamery, Main Street, Catholic Church, Public school, Presbyterian Church. 1909 postmark.

Montage of four scenes in Victor, Iowa: Washington Street, Grandstand, Bear Creek Bridge and a train on the tracks. 1909 postmark. Number 4750.

Looking southwest at the entrance to a three story brick building with a large front porch. The historical records show this as the Carroll House Hotel or the Carter Hotel built in 1892 by J.C. Forcum. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Two story brick building with bell tower. 1909 postmark. Number 589. Series 4.

Two story brick building. In 1880 the North school building was put up at a cost of $16,000. William Young of Marshalltown did the brick work and roofing and L. Wallace and Son did the carpenter work. 1909 postmark.

The Dayton High School was completed in 1920 and the auditorium was added in 1939. 1909 postmark.

Looking at a 2 story brick school building built in 1867. DeWitt was an independent school district until 1958 when DeWitt, Grand Mound, Welton, and Low Moor formed a new district. 1909 postmark.

The Davenport Hotel is a six-story, brick over steel structure constructed in 1907 by the local architecture firm of Temple and Burrows. It is located at 330 Main Street, Davenport, Scott County, Iowa, and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. 1909 postmark.