Looking southeast at a two story limestone building with the Civil War monument on the right. Trinity Episcopal Cathedral, formerly known as Grace Cathedral, is the historic cathedral in the Diocese of Iowa. It was built in 1873 at a cost of $80,000 and is one of the oldest cathedrals in the Episcopal Church in the United States. The Soldiers' Monument was built in 1881 in honor of Scott County's Civil War dead. The church is located at 121 West Twelfth Street, Davenport, Scott County, Iowa, and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and the monument is listed on the Davenport Register of Historic Properties. Number 4403.
The Iowa Institute for the Deaf and Dumb was moved from Iowa City to Council Bluffs in 1870 because the location was readily accessible by railroads and th 80-acre tract of land was purchased for a bargain price of $1,200. The school was a self-sustaining entity with its own farm, power plant and hospital. Today it has a state-of-the art science center and updated learning spaces. Located at 3501 Harry Langdon Blvd, Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie County, Iowa. Number 21929.
Looking southeast at a three story limestone, English Gothic style building built in 1903 at a cost of $112,000. The church is located at 109 East 14th Street, Davenport, Scott County, Iowa, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In 1886, Jennie Edmundson Memorial Hospital, the first hospital in Council Bluffs, Iowa, opened in a five-room cottage at 312 Williams Street. The hospital was named for the late wife of J.D. Edmundson, an attorney, teach and real estate broker, who provided the $50,000 gift necessary to obtain the land that houses the hospital to this day. Located at 933 East Pierce Street, Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie County, Iowa. Number 91313.
The Carnegie Library was built in 1904 and opened as a "Free Public Library" for all. The building is currently used as the Union Pacific Railroad Museum and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is located at 200 Pearl Street, Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie County, Iowa. Number 91424.
Rainbow Drive was a scenic spot commemorating the Lewis and Clark visit to the area in 1804. H.G. (Harry) McGee, a prominent businessman in the community, contributed $1,000 toward the purchase of the land and he was named "Father of Rainbow Drive." Number 115441.