Looking northeast at shoreline with sailboats and boathouse. Arbor Lake, named for Arbor Day, when hundreds of trees were planted there, was created in 1902 as a storage reservoir to provide soft water for manufacturing firms. 1907 postmark.
Looking northeast. Chicago Hall was constructed in 1883, costing approximately $20,000 excluding grading and landscaping. Razed in 1958 to provide space for construction of Burling Library. 1907 postmark.
Looking northwest. Cooper School was built in 1889 and named for Co. S.F. Cooper, the first teacher in Grinnell. The building was closed in 1974 and sold it to Grinnell College. Cooper was torn down in 1994. 1907 postmark.
The cornerstone for the court house was laid on May 21, 1903, costing $90,600 to build. Architectural style is late 19th and 20th Century Revivals. Listed on the National Register for Historic Places. 1907 postmark. Number 124380. Series C 5817.