Card has small school banner with cheer: "Whoop em! Skoop em! Thru and thru. We do! We do! Why don't you? Always loyal, always true, B.H.S. scarlet and blue"--t.p.. Copyright 1908 with Acmegraph Co. Number 015.
View of children on a spring day in Central Park. In 1885 the city of Davenport acquired the property that had been the Scott County Fairgrounds. It is a significant example of landscape planning, and of the civic improvements that were being made by the city in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Five years after the land was purchased and improved it was named Central Park after New York City's park of the same name. Central Park was renamed Vander Veer after an early Davenport park commissioner in 1911. Located at 215 West Central Park Avenue, Davenport, Scott County, Iowa, the park consists of 70.8 acres, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 1908 postmark. Number 13206.
Circuit Chautauquas were part of a travelling adult education movement started at the turn of the century reaching Iowa in 1904. Special reports, pronunciation tests, and a variety of other exercises are introduced at the meetings. 1908 postmark. Number B1165A6.
Looking northeast at an Italianate-Classic style building which was completed in 1880. The red and buff colored brick used in its construction was made in the old McMillen Brick Plant. The courthouse association paid $5705.90 of the building cost, the county furnished $1040, and the contractors (B. D. Everingham and J. L. Harlow) were said to have lost $1825. There have been additions to building, but the main structure is still much as it was when completed in 1880. The courthouse is on the National Register of Historic Places and is located at 130 North Park Place, Cresco, Howard County, Iowa. Civil War Soldiers Monument is 30 feet high with a soldier atop a round granite column. There are inscriptions of soldiers on four sides at the base. Twenty-four Iowa courthouses had a civil war monument erected on the grounds. 1908 postmark. Number 464.
Looking at a one-story wooden building with a Notary Public sign near the front door. The Cumberland Saving Bank was organized on January 7, 1905, with a capital stock of $10,000. Edgar S. Harlan was founding president of the bank. V.E. Benedict, photographer, was from Cumberland, Iowa. 1908 postmark. Title supplied by cataloger.
Looking at street car line passing under a bridge in Fairmount Park. The park was once considered the greatest park in the area and has a history of being one of the premier parks in the country. It featured a greenhouse, ice skating, sledding, a petting zoo and an old bell tower. 1908 postmark. Number 14.