You are here

Historic Iowa Postcards

Grinnell College Libraries' Historic Iowa Postcard Collection. A collection of postcards from 1900 through the middle of the 20th century, covering all parts of Iowa.

grinnell:18448
Unknown
Circuit Chautauquas were part of a travelling adult education movement started at the turn of the century reaching Iowa in 1904. Special reports, pronunciation tests, and a variety of other exercises are introduced at the meetings. 1908 postmark. Number B1165A6.

grinnell:13472
Unknown
Interior room with fireplace. 1908 postmark.

grinnell:14327
Unknown
Lake with man and women in a boat and chutes in background. 1908 postmark.

grinnell:15676
Unknown
Looking northwest at the 1903 three-story Beaux Arts style building designed by Des Moines architects, Gutterson & Smith, and constructed of salmon pink Minnesota limestone. It was the project of the Works Progress Administration. The building originally featured a fountain and stone steps, which were removed in 1955. It is no longer a library, but was acquired by the World Food Prize and is being renovated to serve as a museum to recognize great achievements in agriculture, a convocation center that will hold the World Food Prize International Symposium, a home for the Global Youth Institute, an educational facility that will feature interactive displays on hunger and food security and a conference center and community hall. It is located on Locust Street and listed in the National Register of Historic Places. 1908 postmark.

grinnell:14038
Unknown
The first Clearfield High School was built in 1898 of pressed brick containing 11 rooms at a cost of $20,000. The building was destroyed by fire on March 24, 1940, on Easter Sunday and a new building was completed in 1941. That building was closed in 1986. 1908 postmark.

grinnell:14071
Unknown
Looking northeast at a one story wooden building with bell tower located at 121 Third Avenue NW, Clarion, Wright County, Iowa. 1908 postmark.

grinnell:13285
Unknown
Looking northeast on Broad Street. Often called the "Old Stone Church". Erected in the year 1877. 1908 postmark. Number 156898.

grinnell:14428
Unknown
Looking southeast from North Walnut Street with lunch room and billiards room in the foreground and the Hotel Centropolis in the background. 1908 postmark. Number 9475.

grinnell:16974
Unknown
Looking northeast at an Italianate-Classic style building which was completed in 1880. The red and buff colored brick used in its construction was made in the old McMillen Brick Plant. The courthouse association paid $5705.90 of the building cost, the county furnished $1040, and the contractors (B. D. Everingham and J. L. Harlow) were said to have lost $1825. There have been additions to building, but the main structure is still much as it was when completed in 1880. The courthouse is on the National Register of Historic Places and is located at 130 North Park Place, Cresco, Howard County, Iowa. Civil War Soldiers Monument is 30 feet high with a soldier atop a round granite column. There are inscriptions of soldiers on four sides at the base. Twenty-four Iowa courthouses had a civil war monument erected on the grounds. 1908 postmark. Number 464.

grinnell:16968
Unknown
Looking at a one-story wooden building with a Notary Public sign near the front door. The Cumberland Saving Bank was organized on January 7, 1905, with a capital stock of $10,000. Edgar S. Harlan was founding president of the bank. V.E. Benedict, photographer, was from Cumberland, Iowa. 1908 postmark. Title supplied by cataloger.

grinnell:16963
Unknown
View of a 3 story wooden building with front porch. 1908 postmark. Number 7.

grinnell:16864
Unknown
Looking northeast at the front entrance of Drake University's Administration Building, now known as Old Main. Drake University was founded in 1881. The architectural style is High Victorian Gothic. Old Main is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is located at 2507 University Avenue, Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa. 1908 postmark. Number 1747.

grinnell:18381
Unknown
Looking at street car line passing under a bridge in Fairmount Park. The park was once considered the greatest park in the area and has a history of being one of the premier parks in the country. It featured a greenhouse, ice skating, sledding, a petting zoo and an old bell tower. 1908 postmark. Number 14.

grinnell:14075
Unknown
A family gathered around the picnic table outside their home near Clarinda, Iowa. 1908 postmark.

grinnell:14356
Unknown
On September 24, 1908 a devastating fire swept throught the business district destroying the whole city block. Pictured is the aftermath with townspeople picking through the rubble. 1908 postmark. Number 1.

grinnell:14359
Unknown
On September 24, 1908 a devastating fire swept throught the business district destroying the whole city block. Pictured in the foreground are the Enterprise building a jewelry shop and the Rowland Restaurant and Lunch Room. 1908 postmark. Number 6.

grinnell:14357
Unknown
On September 24, 1908 a devastating fire swept throught the business district destroying the whole city block. Pictured is the aftermath with townspeople picking through the rubble. 1908 postmark. Number 3.

grinnell:14358
Unknown
On September 24, 1908 a devastating fire swept throught the business district destroying the whole city block. Pictured is a destroyed building with townspeople picking through the rubble. 1908 postmark. Number 5.

grinnell:13468
Unknown
Looking northeast at the brick and stone church built in 1903 by John Lake & Son at a cost of $30,000. Located at 621 South Third Street, Clinton, Clinton County, Iowa. 1908 postmark. Number 15931.

Pages

Advanced Search