Highland Park College, Des Moines, Iowa

Primary tabs

Looking at street trolley #197 arriving at the Highland Park College campus which was established in 1889 and operated under that name until 1918, when the Baptist church bought it and renamed it Des Moines University. The school had some 40,000 students and 1,000 pharmacy graduates in its first twenty-five years. After some unrest, the school closed in September 1929, and the buildings remained empty until 1943, when Alfred W. Lawson of Detroit bought the property and founded the Des Moines University of Lawsonomy ("the study of everything"). The university closed in 1954 and the Park Fair Shopping Mall is on the site today at Second Avenue and Euclid Avenue. 1906 postmark. Number 1761.