6th & Broad

Primary tabs

Photograph of the house at 6th Avenue and Broad Street, built sometime before 1884. It was originally owned by George Magoun, the first president of Iowa (Grinnell) College. The house faced east onto Broad Street. A house on this site is listed in the 1878 City Directory. The house was purchased by a Spaulding brother who gave it to a moving company. The moving company split the house in half. The back portion was moved to 717 West Street and the front portion to 1130 Summer Street. The horse visible in the image is tethered on Broad Street, north of present Smith Funeral Home. The site is now (2013) occupied by Pizza Hut.