917 Reed Street

Primary tabs

The house at 917 Reed was built in 1883 by Charles F. Craver, owner of Craver & Steele which manufactured a harvesting machine known as a header. Craver built this residence when his original home at 7th and Broad was destroyed by the 1882 cyclone. He lived there until 1889 when he moved with his business to Harvey, Illinois. The second owner of the house was L. G. Pierce. Pierce sold the house to the community for a site for the hospital. The house was demolished in 1917. Alternate address given for the property is 819 Reed.