Ames Block

Primary tabs

Photograph of the Ames Block behind 800 4th Avenue. Three storefronts are visible, one being the Oxford Cafe. A fire destroyed the building in the summer of 1941 The Gifford & Manly Building, built in 1914, served as the Elks building. The photograph was taken sometime after the removal of the 3rd floor of the Preston Opera House on the west side of Main Street. Next to the Opera House is the building which now houses the Poweshiek Abstract Company at 833 Main Street.