914-918 Main Street

Primary tabs

Photograph of the Spaulding Building in the central business district at 914-918 Main Street. Built in 1889 and owned by H.W. Spaulding. Several changes to the original building were made over the years: windows were later bricked in to install smaller double-hung windows with combination screens/storms. This building stands where a complex of Spaulding factory buildings stood, including the original carriage factory. The frame buildings were lost in the 1891 fire. When Craver, Steele and Austin left Grinnell to go to Harvey, Illinois, Spaulding moved his operation to Craver Building, then built a commercial building on this site.