Photograph of damage to the business district caused by the fire of 1889. The scene is looking NE across the railroad to the Congregational Church. Central Park is on the right. The fire started in a grain elevator next to the railroad. The wind blew NE and then East. At the center of the photo, brick buildings are still standing. Some buildings on Main and 4th also remained. Lost to the fire were the post office, the implement store on Commercial Street (a replica was built at Living History Farms), the fire department, and other businesses As a result of the fire, the City Council then set up a fire zone and forbade the use of wooden awnings. The width of Commercial Street, which varied, was also made uniform.