John Kleinschmidt Architectural History Collection

grinnell:3262
Robertson, Jack (author)
1001 Broad
Details of the building on the NW corner of 5th Avenue and Broad St. (1001 Broad). This was the second permanent structure of the colony of Grinnell, built in the summer of 1854, for Anor Scott, store-keeper and merchant. It first stood near what is now the NW corner of the intersection of Fifth Avenue and Broad Street. (There were then no streets as such: the town would not file a plat until January, 1855). Later it was moved to High Street, then to the SW corner of the intersection of Third Avenue and Elm Street where it is now part of a small house. Fragments of the handsome hand-painted wallpaper (four colors) fixed directly to the inner skin of the building--boards of the board-and-batten construction, gaps, studs, cross-pieces and all--are still within the present walls. (Courtesy of Hugh and Deborah Sheridan)
grinnell:3284
1002 High
Photograph of the brick house at 1002 High Street built in the late 19th century. Owners have included William M. Holmes and John Manly. The house was demolished in 1977.
grinnell:3255
1008 High Street
Photograph of the house at 1008 High Street built sometime before 1861. It was the family home of H.W. Williams and later was converted to student apartments. house. Abby Williams Hill (artist of note) was the daughter of H. W. Williams and was born in this house in 1861. See Abby Williams Hill, by R. Fields, ISBN 0-917048-63-6, c. 1989, page 11 where there is the picture of the house and more biographical information about her. Abby taught at the college briefly.
grinnell:3280
1011 Broad
Photograph of the house at 1011 Broad Street, built in 1895 for J. W. Billings, a local dentist. The house was later (1921?) moved to its present location on the north side of 16th Ave, east of the railroad tracks (1533 16th Ave.) At the time of the move it was stripped of its chimney and cupola. The house was moved by horse and block and tackle on 6th to Penrose, and then north on Penrose to 16th. Other buildings to occupy the original site on Broad Street were Van Wechel car dealership/garage, an St. Mary's Education Center.
grinnell:3279
1110 Main Street
The home at 1110 Main Street (6th and Main) was built in 1892 for Henry C. Spencer. The tower and chimneys were eventually removed and roof line altered from the original.
grinnell:3275
1124 Third Avenue
Photograph of the house at 1124 Third Ave. built in the late 19th century. An early owner was Louise Henley, wife of the county superintendent of schools. Later owned by Janet Carl and Greg Johnson.
grinnell:3266
1125 Broad Street
Photograph of the J. H. McMurray home at 1125 Broad Street, built in 1895. In 1915, McMurray made changes to the structure, including replacing the front porch and cutting off the pediments. At the NE corner, the second floor open porch was enclosed and windows added. A smoking balcony was created for Mr. McMurray with wood that would not absorb smoke. The Grinnell Historical Museum acquired the property in 1965.
grinnell:3272
1126 Broad Street
Photograph of the house at 1126 Broad Street owned by E. W. Clark, a doctor. It was originally built in the 1870s but damaged in the 1882 cyclone. The cupola was later restored.
grinnell:3256
1127 Park Street
Photograph of the frame building at 1127 Park Street. It was originally constructed in 1888. Owned by H. G. Little followed by Mrs. E. D. Rand. Originally had verandas on the south, north, and east. Served at various times as a hospital, a college club, and a college administration building.
grinnell:3282
1133 Broad Street
Photograph of the house at 1133 Broad Street, built in 1895 for B. J. Carney, who owned a lumber business. A carriage house was built in the back of the property.
grinnell:3267
1206 Broad Street
Photographs of the house at 1206 Broad Street, built in 1884 for L. E. Spencer, a banker, attorney and realtor, to replace the earlier structure that fell into its own cellar during the cyclone of 1882. The interior photographs are from the early 1900s when the house was owned by J. P. Lyman. During the latter part of the 20th century, the house was owned by John and Barbara Kleinschmidt. More information about individual photographs is available in the Grinnell College Libraries Department of Special Collections and Archives.
grinnell:3278
1227 Broad Street
Photograph of the house at 1227 Broad Street built in 1882 for William Beaton, a piano tuner. His daughter became a national known pianist and the veranda visible in the photograph was hers. The house was taken down in 1934.
grinnell:3277
1303 Park Street
The house at 1303 Park Street was built by and for David R. Warburton, owner of the Warburton, Richardson, and Phelps lumberyard, about 1900. The Grinnell Herald of Jan 1, 1901, cited it as the "handsomest house built this past season...and one of the prettiest Grinnell affords and...certainly a model of attractive interior"
grinnell:3257
1315 Park Street
Exterior shot of one side of 1315 Park Street. No longer standing.
grinnell:3273
1407 Sixth Avenue
Photographs of the house at 1407 Sixth Avenue. Built in1868 for Mr. Hobart, a lumber man. Hobart Street is named for him. Hobart had been a soldier in the 46th Infantry (100 days) and a local musician. Other owners included the Clifton Family, Lois Clifton Meacham and her sister. Lois Meacham's grandmother (Clifton) took off the veranda, cupola, and cornices, replaced the original floor-length windows and added a front stoop and porch. The house now has a number of apartments.,
grinnell:3271
1807 Fourth Avenue
Photograph of the house at 1807 Fourth Ave. Originally owned by Luke Newton Sherman. Built in 1883 and first occupied on New Year's Day, 1884. Later owned by Kathy and Dan Tindall.
grinnell:3293
1882 Cyclone - Corner of 7th and Broad
Photograph of the aftermath of the 1882 cyclone that destroyed much of the town of Grinnell. 7th Ave. runs through the center of the photo, Broad Street is on the left.
grinnell:3304
1889 Fire Damage
Photograph of the damage to the business district caused by the 1889. The photo was taken from the railroad tower across Main Street. The Congregational Church is visible in the back center of the image. Main Street is on the left and Central Park on the far right. The fire started in two grain elevators next to the railroad around noon. The presumption is that a spark from the railroad ignited the very flammable contents of the elevators. The fire destroyed everything not constructed of brick. In 1891, the whole center of the block to the north burned.
grinnell:3317
1889 Fire Damage - 2
Photograph of damage to the business district caused by the fire of 1889. The scene is looking NE across the railroad to the Congregational Church. Central Park is on the right. The fire started in a grain elevator next to the railroad. The wind blew NE and then East. At the center of the photo, brick buildings are still standing. Some buildings on Main and 4th also remained. Lost to the fire were the post office, the implement store on Commercial Street (a replica was built at Living History Farms), the fire department, and other businesses As a result of the fire, the City Council then set up a fire zone and forbade the use of wooden awnings. The width of Commercial Street, which varied, was also made uniform.
grinnell:3313
1941 Overview of Town
Overview from a photograph taken in 1941 showing Main Street to Broad and 4th. Grinnell House (hotel) is in the lower lefthand corner.

Pages

This content, grinnell:kleinschmidt, has been visited 1491 times.

Advanced Search