418 East Street

Primary tabs

Photograph of the house at 418 East Street. Construction date is unknown, but it is listed in the 1878 City Directory, It was owned by Samuel A. Cravath, editor of Grinnell Herald, the older and more prestigious of the two newspapers in town (the other being the Grinnell Register). In 1916, the Herald office was built (813 5th Avenue). That same year, the Register built a new building (937 Broad Street). In 1936, the papers merged into the Grinnell Herald-Register. The top floor of this building was an apartment for the editor of the Register. Later on, John Parish (doctor) had his office in the first floor. The tower was later removed.