View along Main Street, Camp Dodge, Iowa

Primary tabs

Looking northwest at the long row of barracks. Original construction of Camp Dodge began in 1907, to provide a place for the National Guard units to train. In 1917, the installation was handed over to national authorities and greatly expanded to become a regional training center for forces to participate in the First World War. The name Camp Dodge comes from Brigadier General Grenville M. Dodge, who organized Iowa's first National Guard unit in 1856. Number 52965.