Historic Iowa Postcards

Grinnell College Libraries' Historic Iowa Postcard Collection. A collection of postcards from 1900 through the middle of the 20th century, covering all parts of Iowa.

grinnell:13418
Looking north from alley. Rand Gymnasium was constructed in 1897 and destroyed by fire in 1939. The cost to build was between $10,000 and $17,360. 1909 Postmark. Title supplied by cataloger.

grinnell:14227
Struve
Looking at three Victorian homes in Aurelia, Iowa. The residences belong to J.C. Lockin, member of the Iowa legislature; W.H. Bischel, local banker; and J.M. Whitney. 1909 postmark.

grinnell:13682
Train crossing a bridge on the East Nishnabotna River. 1910 postmark. Number 13.

grinnell:16078
View of wooden walking bridge in Union Park, located at 725 Thompson Avenue, Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa. 1909 postmark. Number 6450.

grinnell:13955
1909 postmark. Number 4506.

grinnell:13787
Looking at the front entrance of the two-story brick school building. Basketball hoop in foreground. 1909 postmark.

grinnell:13510
Looking northwest. Chicago Hall was constructed in 1883, costing approximately $20,000 excluding grading and landscaping. Razed in 1958 to provide space for construction of Burling Library. 1909 postmark. Number 156893.

grinnell:18817
The closed-spandrel arch bridge on Sixth Avenue was designed by Edwin Thatcher from New York and built in 1907. In 1965 it collapsed due to bad infrastructure and was replaced in 1966. 1909 postmark. Number 563.

grinnell:14478
Benson, C.W.
Big snowstorm commencing on December 23, 1909. Photo of George Armentrout's home by C.W. Benson on December 28, 1909. Lena Armentrout (wife) in doorway. George Armentrout was a local blacksmith in Grinnell. 1909 postmark.

grinnell:13846
The Garfield School was built in 1880. 1909 postmark. Number 9869.

grinnell:13377
Montage of nine Grinnell College buildings: Mears Cottage, Carnegie Library, Chicago (Magoun) Hall, Rand Gymnasium, men's gymnasium, Herrick Chapel, Blair Hall, Goodnow Hall. 1909 postmark.

grinnell:13551
Looking southeast at the newly built Catholic church made of Romanesque architecture and pressed brick and stone with two towers of the same height. The church was constructed in 1908, and Martin Heer from Dubuque was the architect. It is located at 609 10th Street, Alton, Sioux County, Iowa. 1909 postmark.

grinnell:13298
Built mostly by immigrants, St. Mary's Church took four long years to complete from 1884-1888. The rectory was added in 1896. The church was demolished in 2009. 1909 postmark. Number 48999.

grinnell:14105
Eleven men from the Second U.S. Cavalry, Troop H, sitting on bags of supply rations in front of a camp. Number 5.

grinnell:18766
Looking northeast at the Iowa State Capitol building which was completed in 1886 at a cost of $3,296,256, and, and at the time, was the only five-domed capitol in the country. The dome of the capitol is gilded with tissue-paper thin sheets of pure 23-karat gold, with a protective layer sealing the gold from the weather, and the top of its finial peak is 275 feet (84 m) above the ground. From its opening during 1884 until 1924, it was the tallest building in Des Moines, and likely the entire state. It is located at 1007 East Grand Avenue, Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 1907 postmark. 1909 postmark. Number 1976.

grinnell:13296
Looking west at the old Administration Building (listed on the National Register of Historical Places) on the left and the Auditorium Building (Lang Hall) on the right. 1909 postmark. Number 6085.

grinnell:14172
Looking north on a busy Story Street with a dentist office and Canier Brothers & Herman shoe company on the left. 1909 postmark. Number A 11 018.

grinnell:13836
Looking down a dirt street in Amana, Iowa. The Amana Colony is seven villages on 26,000 acres located in Iowa County. 1909 postmark. Number 263915. Series 5. Title supplied by cataloger.

grinnell:18180
The Iowa Sanitorium of the Seventh Day Adventists was dedicated on August 21, 1909, and located on 55 acres at the south end of, present day, 8th Street in Nevada, Iowa. The Sanitorium, which cost approximately $75,000 to build, was initiated by the Seventh Day Adventists in Des Moines who moved to Nevada because their Des Moines facility was “too noisy”. The building was destroyed by fire on January 30, 1943.

grinnell:13857
Looking south. The United Presbyterian Church was built in 1907 and razed in 1977 for the new church. 1909 postmark.