Historic Iowa Postcards

Grinnell College Libraries' Historic Iowa Postcard Collection. A collection of postcards from 1900 through the middle of the 20th century, covering all parts of Iowa.

grinnell:14238
Remains of a tornado that hit Arthur, Iowa, July 26, 1908. Men are sifting through debris with a cow grazing nearby. 1909 postmark.

grinnell:14455
Alamo Park was opened on June 11, 1909 and it was estimated that 2,500 people attended that first day. The park was torn down in 1921 to make room for Roosevelt Junior High School. 1909 postmark. Number 6478.

grinnell:13934
Alexander, photographer (Albia, Iowa)
Looking northwest at a panoramic view of the Albia square which includes the courthouse, bicycle, horses and carriages and electric lines. Listed in the National Register for Historic Places as the Albia Square and Central Commercial Historic District. 1909 postmark. Number 8109.

grinnell:14136
Four story brick and stone building. 1909 postmark. Number 22216.

grinnell:14500
Looking east at shoreline with sailboat and boathouse. Arbor Lake, named for Arbor Day, when hundreds of trees were planted there, was created in 1902 as a storage reservoir to provide soft water for manufacturing firms. 1909 postmark. Number 58.

grinnell:14596
Looking southeast. The Grinnell Armory building was constructed in 1907 for lease to the Grinnell Armory Association. 1909 postmark. Number 921.

grinnell:13917
Two story brick building in Blairstown, Iowa. 1909 postmark. Number 64874.

grinnell:14337
Three women standing in front of a two-story wood building. Lace curtains are in the window. Swing set on the left. Rocker on the side porch. 1909 postmark. Verson reads: "Iowa, Monroe Dec. 2, 1909, This is the boarding house of Mrs. L.A. Dunn Hendershot who lived in Franklin Co. VT until she was 18 years old. I stayed with her two nights Nov. 30 and Dec 1st 1909.",

grinnell:13996
Looking north on unpaved Broad Street with woman and man in foreground. 1909 postmark.

grinnell:13283
Looking south on Broad Street with the Old Stone Church on left. 1909 postmark.

grinnell:18550
View of four Buffalo roaming Greenwood Park in the winter. Greenwood Park was the first official large park in Des Moines purchased by park commissioners in 1894. Located at 4500 Grand Avenue, Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa. 1909 postmark. Number 6443.

grinnell:16225
Looking northeast at a three-story building which opened in 1899 at a cost of $75,000. Since Creston was a division point, the depot also contained numerous railroad offices on the upper levels for the division superintendent, dispatcher, roadmaster, physician and other officials. The depot abutted the busy Creston yards, which had one of the largest roundhouses in the CB&Q system. Today, the first floor houses an art gallery, senior center, and exhibits, while the second floor is reserved for municipal use. The building is located at 200 West Adams Street, Creston, Union County, Iowa, and is on the National Register of Historic Places. 1909 postmark.

grinnell:14161
Three story brick building with Greek columns at the entrance. 1909 postmark.

grinnell:13335
Looking northwest from Park Street. 1909 postmark. Number 924.

grinnell:13437
Looking northeast. Carnegie Library was constructed in 1904, costing $50,000 excluding stacks and moveable furnishings. Funded by a $50,000 grant from Andrew Carnegie. 1909 postmark. Number 929.

grinnell:13908
Two story brick Prairie School style building with women entering the building. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places. 1909 postmark.

grinnell:13796
Looking northeast. Constructed in 1907 at a cost of approx. $20,000, Herrick Chapel was designed to house the college's religious services and to serve as a general purpose large auditorium which seats 700. Carnegie Library in background. 1909 postmark. Number 931.

grinnell:13443
The rail line provided passenger service. By 1910, the Charles City Western Railway's interurban gasoline-powered streetcar was providing transportation down Main Street and eventually to Marble Rock. Local service ended in 1921. 1912 postmark. Number A-16351.