Historic Iowa Postcards

Grinnell College Libraries' Historic Iowa Postcard Collection. A collection of postcards from 1900 through the middle of the 20th century, covering all parts of Iowa.

grinnell:13338
Looking northwest. Chicago Hall was constructed in 1883, costing approximately $20,000 excluding grading and landscaping. Razed in 1958 to provide space for construction of Burling Library. 1909 postmark. Number 936.

grinnell:16223
Looking northeast at a three-story building which opened in 1899 at a cost of $75,000. Since Creston was a division point, the depot also contained numerous railroad offices on the upper levels for the division superintendent, dispatcher, roadmaster, physician and other officials. The depot abutted the busy Creston yards, which had one of the largest roundhouses in the CB&Q system. Today, the first floor houses an art gallery, senior center, and exhibits, while the second floor is reserved for municipal use. It is located at 200 West Adams Street, Creston, Union County, Iowa. 1909 postmark. Number 13636.

grinnell:14209
Looking at front entrance of a two-story brick church building from the street. The church was erected in 1900 at a cost of $15,000 and for many years was among the largest in point of membership in the city. There is a sign posted on the front saying "Revival Meetings". 1909 postmark.

grinnell:14421
One-story wooden building with view of front entrance. 1909 postmark.

grinnell:14335
This two story brick and stone building was built in 1905. 1909 postmark. Number 9867.

grinnell:14279
Two-story wooden gazebo overlooking the Iowa River with two girls sitting on a bench. The town of Alden was incorporated in 1879. 1909 postmark. Number 4. Title supplied by cataloger.

grinnell:14163
An event with tents set up in Bronson, Iowa. M.F. Copenhaver, Blacksmith, can be seen on the roof of a building towards the left center of the photo. The town of Bronson, Iowa, was laid out by the Western Town Lot Company in 1901, and was named for Ira D. Bronson, an emigrant from Fort Scott, Kansas. 1909 postmark. Title supplied by cataloger.

grinnell:14338
Looking at the front entrance to the two-story general store selling dry goods. 1909 postmark.

grinnell:13618
Looking at the church corner of Sixth Street and Kellogg Avenue. The Congregational Church in this photo was the second church built on this site in 1900 and has been renovated several times. The church adopted the name United Church of Christ-Congregational in 1957 when the national Evangelical and Reformed Church and the Congregational Christian churches merged. Located at 217 6th Street, Ames, Story County, Iowa. 1909 postmark.

grinnell:14044
Mench, P.
The Country Club Flyer speedboat ride at Clear Lake, Iowa. 1909 postmark. Copyright 1909 by P. Mench

grinnell:16929
Looking southwest at two children in the foreground with the Crocker School in the background. The school was built in 1870 and demolished ca. 1962. It was named after Marcellus Monroe Crocker, a general in the Union Army during the American Civil War and prominent lawyer in Des Moines, Iowa. 1909 postmark. Number 48.

grinnell:14271
Looking south at the Chicago Great Western Railroad depot in Alta Vista, Iowa, with a ticket master and farmer and milk cans waiting for the train. 1913 postmark. Number 3-1909.

grinnell:13444
Looking northwest at the Cherokee Railroad Depot which was built in 1896 at a cost of $25,000 and was used by the Illinois Central Railroad as a passenger station until May 1971 and as a freight station until January 1982, after which it was vacated by the railroad The Illinois Central Railroad Yard is listed on the National Register for Historic Places and is located at 119 South 4th Street, Cherokee, Cherokee County, Iowa. 1909 postmark.

grinnell:18535
Looking northeast at the front entrance of Drake University's Administration Building, now known as Old Main. Drake University was founded in 1881. The architectural style is High Victorian Gothic. Old Main is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and located at 2507 University Avenue, Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa. 1909 postmark.

grinnell:13749
Large two story pavilion. Once known as Joyce's Park back in 1888, Eagle Point Park is 164 acres of park land overlooking the Mississippi River. 1909 postmark.

grinnell:14425
Looking northeast on East Howard Street at a peaceful residential area in Colfax, Iowa. 1909 postmark. Number 165571.

grinnell:16210
Looking northeast on Main Street with a dentist office, a restaurant and the Commerical House from foreground to background. 1909 postmark. Number 16.

grinnell:13460
Three story brick building with a bookstore on the corner. 1909 postmark.

grinnell:13797
Looking south at cemetery. View of dirt road and trees. In 1854, J.B. Grinnell established the cemetery with a donation or 13 acres. He is buried at the highest point on the grounds. 1909 postmark. Number 156892.

grinnell:18543
Looking north at the building designed and built on 1894 by Eastman and McLelland. 1909 postmark. Number 41.