Looking northeast from Fourth Avenue. The first Grinnell high school was built in 1904. An addition that expanded the building to include junior high students was completed in 1921. 1908 postmark. Number 61. It now houses the Grinnell Community Center.
In 1873, the Stuart family from Canada and the Higley and especially the Douglas family from Cedar Rapids established an oatmeal mill (initially known as the North Star Mill). The company later adopted the name American Cereal Company and by the 1890s began to produce a product line known as "Quaker Oats". The Cedar Rapids Quaker Oats plant established its own skyline of manufacturing buildings and became one of the largest in the nation. 1908 postmark. Number 22222.
Looking east from Central Park. Home of J.B. Grinnell and his wife Julia. The cellar was a registered stop in the Underground Railroad. A portion of the house was moved to Broad Street south of Third Avenue until the late 1970's. 1908 postmark.
Looking northeast at a 5 story brick and stone building. The Burtis Hotel was built in 1874 next to the Burtis Opera House. The new hotel featured its own train platform as well as telephone, telegraph and an elevator. In 1880 the name of the hotel was changed to the Kimball House and it was advertised as the "largest and best hotel in Iowa." The hotel was transformed into an apartment building and renamed the Perry Apartments. In 1939, the building was repaired from a large fire and renamed the Vale Apartments. The building was torn down in 1993 because it was structurally unsafe. It was located at 210 East Fourth Street, Davenport, Scott County, Iowa. 1908 postmark.
Looking northwest. Blair Hall (right foreground) was constructed in 1882-1886, razed in 1961. Cost was $37,200 excl. grading and landscaping. Originally housed the college chapel, the departments of chemistry, natural science, mathematics, and physics. Goodnow Hall (left background) was constructed in 1885, costing $15,700 excluding telescope ($2,125) and book stacks. Originally served as college library and astronomical observatory. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 1908 postmark.
Front says: Trains every 60 minutes. In 1910, the Iowa and Illinois Railway secured a valuable freight terminal property in Davenport, Iowa. It included an office building and a warehouse which was occupied originally by the Burlington, Cedar Rapids and Northern Railway, under a right granted to it by the City of Davenport. The property reverted to the city and was offered to the Iowa and Illinois Railway Company. 1908 postmark.
The Kessel Hospital was founded by Dr. George Kessel, Grinnell College graduate, in 1902 and was the first hospital in Northeast Iowa. Dr. Kessel converted the home into a hospital. The Kessel Hospital became St. Joseph's Mercy Hospital in 1910 and was used as a nurses training school, the Howard County Hospital in 1974, and is now under the umbrella of Regional Health Services of Howard County. It is located at 235 Eight Avenue West, Cresco, Howard County, Iowa. 1908 postmark. Number 463.
Looking southwest on corner of Fifth Avenue and Park Street. The Methodist Church was begun in 1895 and completed and dedicated in 1896. Richardsonian Romanesque in architectural styling. 1908 postmark. Number 156902.