You are here

Historic Iowa Postcards

Grinnell College Libraries' Historic Iowa Postcard Collection. A collection of postcards from 1900 through the middle of the 20th century, covering all parts of Iowa.

grinnell:13645
Unknown
Looking southwest at the brick veneered church with bell tower built in 1895 and burned down on Christmas morning, 1914. The present church building was built in 1917 and is located at 608 Second Avenue N.E., Clarion, Wright County, Iowa.

grinnell:13512
Unknown
Looking northeast. Chicago Hall was constructed in 1883, costing approximately $20,000 excluding grading and landscaping. Razed in 1958 to provide space for construction of Burling Library. 1907 postmark.

grinnell:13861
Unknown
Looking from Eighth Avenue at a one-story brick building with belltower in front. 1907 postmark.

grinnell:16987
Unknown
Looking northwest at a three story brick and stone building built in 1897 to originally accommodate the ninth and tenth grades and two more classes were added in 1899. 1907 postmark.

grinnell:14508
Unknown
Looking northwest. Cooper School was built in 1889 and named for Co. S.F. Cooper, the first teacher in Grinnell. The building was closed in 1974 and sold it to Grinnell College. Cooper was torn down in 1994. 1907 postmark.

grinnell:14443
Unknown
Looking northwest from the corner of Front Street and Jackson Street in Brooklyn, Iowa. 1907 postmark.

grinnell:13927
ANC (New York, N.Y.)
Looking northwest. The cornerstone for the court house was laid on May 21, 1903, costing $90,600 to build. The architectural style is late 19th and 20th Century Revivals. It is located at 201 North 12th Street, Centerville, Appanoose County, Iowa, and listed on the National Register for Historic Places. 1907 postmark. Number 124380. Series C 5817.

grinnell:18383
Unknown
The Pottawattamie County Courthouse on South Pearl Street was a stone Beaux Arts-style building built in 1888. It was later declared unsafe and was replaced with a Modernist structure in 1977. 1907 postmark. Number A5377.

grinnell:14189
Unknown
Dirt road with utility poles on the right near Belle Plaine, Iowa. 1907 postmark.

grinnell:14191
Unknown
Photo inset of man sitting outdoors reading a letter. 1907 postmark.

grinnell:14141
Unknown
This is what the ruins look like at Cedar Falls. -- t.p. 1907 postmark. Title supplied by cataloger.

grinnell:16883
Unknown
Council Bluffs had more greenhouses than any city of its size in the U.S. J.F. Wilcox & Sons was one of the four largest greenhouses in Council Bluffs. 1907 postmark.

grinnell:14444
Unknown
Looking northeast from Front Street in Brooklyn, Iowa. 1907 postmark. Number 61796.

grinnell:14345
Unknown
Wooden church with belfry and parsonage on dirt road. 1907 postmark.

grinnell:13822
Unknown
Drawing on leather postcard. 1907 postmark.

grinnell:14462
Unknown
A two story wooden house with interior photo of an alleged haunted dwelling according to the book published in 1888 entitled, "Picturesque Burlington and Vicinity" by Conrad Lutz. 1907 postmark.

grinnell:14551
Unknown
Looking southeast from Park Street. Constructed in 1907 at a cost of approx. $20,000, Herrick Chapel was designed to house the college's religious services and to serve as a general purpose large auditorium which seats 700. The Christian Associations Building (Steiner Hall) is in the background.

grinnell:13448
Unknown
The Clinton-Illinois Wagon Bridge in the foreground was a cantilever through truss bridge built in 1892 and "lost" in 1956. It was built by Clinton Bridge & Iron Works. The Chicago & Northwestern Railroad Bridge in the background was a truss bridge that opened in 1909 and still carries approximately 50 trains a day from the Union Pacific Railroad. The cost of erecting the bridge was one million dollars plus. It was built by Detroit Bridge Company. 1907 postmark. Number 15925.

grinnell:14111
Unknown
The two story brick and stone building was built in 1903. 1907 postmark.

grinnell:13802
Unknown
Looking northwest. The first Grinnell high school was built in 1904. An addition that expanded the building to include junior high students was completed in 1921. 1907 postmark. Number 2363. It now houses the Grinnell Community Center.

Pages

Advanced Search