Historic Iowa Postcards

Grinnell College Libraries' Historic Iowa Postcard Collection. A collection of postcards from 1900 through the middle of the 20th century, covering all parts of Iowa.

grinnell:16222
Looking northeast at one of the largest roundhouses in the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy system. The Creston railroad yards were built in 1871. The old machine shop building was destroyed by a tornado in 1946, and the remainder of the roundhouse burned down in 1981. Number 3872.

grinnell:13878
Funded by Andrew Carnegie for $45,000, the Clinton Free Library was constructed in 1904 by architects Patton and Miller, Chicago. The building is located at 306 8th Avenue South, Clinton, Clinton County, Iowa, and listed in the National Register of Historic Places. 1905 postmark.

grinnell:13736
The Lucas County Home was built in 1904 and torn down in 1986. County homes or poorhouses were tax-supported residential institutions to which people were required to go if they could not support themselves.

grinnell:14168
Looking at a two-story brick building with smoke stack on left and child standing in front of the building. This is the first Bridgewater Creamery building built in the late 1800's.

grinnell:13891
Looking southeast. The smaller building on the left is the baggage building and the larger building is the depot.

grinnell:14092
Locomotive sitting at the Chelsea Depot with passengers milling around. Grain elevator in background. The Northwestern Railroad leased the Chicago, Iowa and Nebraska Railroad in 1869. A.A. McChesney was the first station agent when the railroad was built and James Hanify the first section boss.

grinnell:14588
Doctors Alice Turner and Lewis Turner were the proprietors of the sanitarium "where one is taught to get well by natural methods." The Rest Home had a spring on the property and was a convenient three blocks from the depot. In 1911, the Rest Home was sold to Dr. C. M. Porter and was operated in conjunction with the Porter Brother's General Hospital. The Rest Home was destroyed by fire in February 1928. Number 9700.

grinnell:14107
From left to right: Chapin Post Office, a meat market with a sign for Edison Records and dry goods store with sign selling shoes, rugs, suits, coats, etc., "Must be sold regardless of price within 30 days. You will find some real bargains". Chapin was platted in 1858 by Josiah Bushnell Grinnell, who had previously founded Grinnell, Iowa. Josiah Bushnell Grinnell gave this new town the name Chapin, the maiden name of his wife. A post office was established in 1860 with H.H. Grinnell as the postmaster.

grinnell:14165
Looking east on Washington Street with what appears to be a monument located in the middle background. Brighton is the oldest town in Washington County, Iowa. Number 2369. No. 1.

grinnell:14236
Looking northeast at a one-story wooden post office on the right established in 1902 in Atkins, Iowa.

grinnell:14170
Man fishing on the Des Moines River near Bradgate, Iowa. He appears to be standing on a large flat rock.

grinnell:14445
Looking west from Front Street in Brooklyn, Iowa. Number 61796.

grinnell:14537
Looking northeast. Goodnow Hall was constructed in 1885, costing $15,700 excluding telescope ($2,125) and book stacks. Originally served as college library and astronomical observatory. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Number 1226.

grinnell:13834
Looking north. The men's gymnasium was constructed in 1899 and razed in 1972, costing $20,180. It served as men

grinnell:16093
Looking east at the Iowa State Capitol building which was completed in 1886 at a cost of $3,296,256, and, and at the time, was the only five-domed capitol in the country. The Weidenmann Project's Centennial Fountain in the foreground was designed by architect John Weidenmann of New York City and completed in 1892. The capitol building is located at 1007 East Grand Avenue, Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 1905 postmark. Number 5.

grinnell:14218
Two-story brick high school building with bell tower. Built in 1897.

grinnell:14217
Two-story brick high school building with bell tower. Built in 1897.

grinnell:14474
Patterson, J.B.
Pencil sketch of the three-story brick and stone high school building. The Romanesque building was built in 1855 and burned down in 1912. It was located at 800 Second Avenue North, Clear Lake, Cerro Gordo County, Iowa. Number 8.

grinnell:13775
Doolittle's Studio, (Estherville, Iowa); KRUXO
Two story building with observation tower.

grinnell:13409
Looking northeast. 1905 postmark. Number 130.